On June 28th, we hosted a panel focused on "Building and Maintaining Corporate Reputation, No Matter Your Size or Industry." The panel included four professionals with diverse backgrounds in communications:
- Natalie Bauer Luce is the communications lead for Uptake, the Chicago based data analytics platform.
- Wendi Taylor Nations brought with her more than 20 years of experience in the industry and is currently the CMO of World Business Chicago.
- Harlan Teller joined the panel with 35 years of experience as a corporate communications strategist and counselor and is currently Interim Vice President of Northern Illinois University.
- Brian Khyos also provided his insights gained through an abundance of corporate reputation experience for highly acclaimed companies such as Baxter, Abbott and Motorola.
The group took on various topics regarding corporate reputation. They discussed the role of authenticity and transparency in communications, two of the biggest conversation trends of the discussion and two attributes that play a significant role in determining if an organization has a positive or negative reputation. The panel also discussed the change of managing a reputation as a company grows: while smaller companies may experience less issues in managing reputation, larger companies often become targets.
Notable Quotes from the panelists included:
- "You have to be cognizant of how different countries/cultures do business," – Wendi Taylor Nations
- "First, do no harm," – Brian Kyhos on being front lines for issues
- "PR started out answering the question 'how do we say it,' moved 'what do we say' and is now 'what do we do,'" – Harlan Teller
- “The bigger you are, the bigger you are as a target.” – Harlan Teller
- "Reputation is the story that you tell," – Natalie Bauer Luce
Hawthorne’s next event will be in mid October and feature a panel discussion around healthcare. Be sure to sign up for our newsletter for event details.